With 2K inviting gamers out to San Francisco for some early news and content for WWE 2K18, it’s time to listen up and jump on board as it’s an amazing kickoff of expectations. However we’re sharing our thoughts alongside the facts.
So what’s in store for WWE 2K18 so far:
- Creation Suite: The Creation Suite gets even deeper, including a new Create-a-Match feature and improvements to Create-a-Superstar, Create-an-Arena and Create-a-Video;
- MyPLAYER: A new MyPLAYER experience introduces fighting styles and a brand new upgrade and progression system;
- MyCAREER: A brand new MyCAREER experience incorporates a new story and a free-roaming backstage area that enable MyPLAYER characters to interact with other WWE Superstars and help direct the narrative;
- Road to Glory Mode Debut: An all-new mode lets players compete against others, using their MyPLAYER characters, in a quest to qualify for WWE pay-per-view events;
- New Graphics Engine: New visuals deliver spectacular new lighting, more realistic skin and new camera effects;
- New Commentary Team: Introducing the trio of Michael Cole, Byron Saxton and Corey Graves;
- Core Gameplay Additions and Improvements: A host of additional improvements will make WWE 2K18 the most comprehensive and realistic WWE game to date.
MyCareer in WWE 2K17 was a step in the right direction and a flop at the same time. Little things like T-Shirts sales mattered though the crowd could never wear them. The RPG read-along during cutscenes made me not want to engage in them anymore. The content was great but reading every bit of dialogue was a bit of a bore. I’m hoping if we’re forced to read dialogue again, free-roaming at least allows us to interact with whomever we’d want and not as linear as it sounds (on paper).
I’m excited to see an entire a new commentary team on 2K18 with the addition of Byron and Corey. It’s been years since 2K Games made a drastic change in the team, only adding JBL which left quite a bit of repeated quotes in almost every game,. My fear however remains when considering it’s the first year of working on the 2K series. NBA 2K hit the nail on the heads with hours of commentary that does replicate, but nearly as much. Can 2K18 do the very same?
Sadly custom songs will not be featured for another, again slightly pulling away from that true level of authenticity. It’s still unknown as to why 2K was able to add this feature on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 but not new-gen. We have a great idea that could potentially work if 2K Games would simply add the feature. Unless it could open some type of legal action WWE 2K cold simply allow private uploads similar to logos in a certain format that would only playback on the owners console to once again allow custom themes.
Full details of WWE 2K18 early updates can be found here: https://wwe.2k.com/news/entries/wwe-2k18-feature-set-reveal-developer-blog-post. Stay tuned for more details.