Release Date: 10/11/2011
Developer: Playbrains Studios
Price: $9.99 Playstation Plus $7.99
In the game Sideways you play a young graffiti artist named Nox. Nox has been thrown into the 2D/3D dimensional world of New York, by another graffiti artist know as Evil Spray. In this new world, another version of the Big Apple, Nox finds himself one with the graffiti and must navigate his way around the city bound to the walls.
As Nox you will navigate your way around New York collecting items, spray painting walls and finding secret unlocks for new and enhanced moves. You may think you can just run through these levels pretty easily, but it is not so simple as there are plenty of secrets and hidden areas you must find. This is not imperative to do your first play through because you do have the option of going back and redoing levels. I am the type of person who loves redoing levels to get a better score and collect every possible item. I mean who doesn’t like to get 100%? Don’t worry though, if you are not like me and hate replaying levels that is okay, Nox has unlimited lives. If you mess up you can kill yourself, either load your last checkpoint or enter the level from the beginning if you want.
As you move through the city of New York you are going to find harder levels that are more challenging to navigate and more difficult to find the secret areas. Take your time and don’t get to frustrated if you die, just remember your lives are limitless. Not only do the levels themselves get more difficult to navigate but the enemies and bosses become harder as well. You will want to focus mostly on how many unlocks there are per level, these are extremely beneficial when trying to kill those more challenging enemies.
The graphics are really awesome, despite the flat sheet like appearance of Nox over the walls in New York. They create interesting and unique enemies for you to fight as well as some pretty awesome artwork, graffiti, on the walls. Not to mention the awesome back drop of the city itself.
Some of the levels are slightly challenging, in the sense of having to wrap your head around the 2D appearance. Nox can only walk in certain directions and some areas of the city are very puzzle like. You may find yourself trying to jump and reach collectables that are way up in areas that seem impossible to get. If you remind yourself of the 2D aspect of the game and take your time you will figure it out. Very often it is the simple fact that Nox is facing the wrong way. For example you can only walk right to left and there are ledges above you that are vertical instead of horizontal. In this situation simply jump off the side of the building, to either your right or left, and then jump back up. Those once vertical ledges will now be horizontal.
Early off in the game I found myself going back and replaying levels even before I had completed the game. This shows that Sideways has an awesome replayable feel, and can almost be classified as addicting. You will find your self constantly trying to beat your previously score and get every last one of those collectibles. The only downside is the music. At first you will enjoy the music it is extremely catching and gets you right into the game, but you will very soon find your self annoyed, as it is only a couple songs repeated over and over again.
Make sure when you first start playing that you only play the first level and quit. Then come back and try to load your previous game. I had problems with my game not saving and had to re-start the game 4 times. I also did not receive the trophy for completing the first level which I obviously did four times. I haven’t heard of anyone else having these same issues, so it may be an anomaly.
Despite these minor problems I had with Sideways New York. I loved the game and will probably continue playing it for a while. In my opinion it is worth every dollar.
I have provided a list of the available “unlocks” as well as the trophies below.
1) Dash Kick: while in air tap R2 to unleash a high powered diagonal kick
2) Grapple: Jump and hold R1 to swing to high up ledges
3) Grenade Paint: press ‘O’ to toss grenades uses your blue stars.
4) Paint Shelf: tap R1 near transparent ledges to make visible for a short period of time
5) Slide: Press R2 to slide below low objects or to attack or avoid attacks from enemies
6) Airtime: Use “Slide” to squeeze between tight spaces
7) Barge: Using L2 you can smash threw breakable objects
8) Double Jump: Gain distance and height by jumping again
9) Glide: When in the air press down and punch to slam down
10) Kick Flip: Adds damage to your double jump
11) Paint Shield: Gives Nox protection from enemy attacks for a little while
12) Super bounce: Nox gets an extra boost off of select graffiti objects
1) Gone Sideways (Bronze): Complete first mission
2) Completionist (Silver): Unlock all the paint powers and upgrades
3) Tag Collector (Gold): Collect all the Tags
4) Graffiti Partner (Bronze): Complete a level on co-op
5) Unkillable (Bronze): Complete a non-boss level without dying
6) Pacifist (Bronze): Complete level without killing anyone
7) It’s Kind of a… (Silver and Bronze): Defeat the boss Big Deal
8) Plinked Slink (Silver and Bronze): Defeat boss Slink
9) Bombed & Bumped (Silver and Bronze): Defeat Boss Bomber and Lump
10) Freedom (Gold and Silver): Complete the game
Replay Ability: 4.5/5
Overall Rating: 4.5/5